Tuesday, February 26, 2019

FREEDOM, LOVE, and DIGNITY


Christopher,
Thank you for your thoughtful/careful attempt to guide my understanding of your comment. 
I understand you to hold that at least humans exist in a state of freedom, and I agree with that. I also agree with your formulations of the relationship between freedom and love. To give love is to act toward aiding another. To help another is to stimulate expansion of his/her range of freedom or to provide an extended opportunity for his/her giving of love.
You state that to stimulate is to coerce. I am puzzled as to how an ethics without stimulation could then be developed. In my understanding, God, in stimulating a person’s heart, is not envisioning or directing a decision for a specified action, but simply awakening or giving empowerment to the general impulse to give love. (This meaning of stimulation is found in some dictionaries.) If there were no God, the force inherent in the creation principle would promote such reflecting, presumably based upon the principle of dual purposes.
We have been educated to categorize humans as a species, itself a category of organisms. By definition, members of a species share certain characteristics/aspects of a mode of existence. These include not only tendencies or inclinations, but also limitations on possibility. By 1947, when I was still in high school, I held the assumption that human beings are altruistic.  As a Unificationist, I refined this assumption In my comment on Dr. Mickler’s post Does Unificationism Have a Stance on Birth Control?  I formulated it as “the fundamental impulse of a person is to give love as intimately as is possible and effective toward the greatest possible scope imaginable“. It is further refined in my comment on Dr. Noda’s post Interpreting the Principle and still further in my PowerPoint presentation on parenting, the text of the narration of which I would be glad to send you. I am prepared to fill in the missing details in my formulations.
To conclude, I think you misunderstand DP’s freedom in the phrases that you quote. It is the freedom to will and actualize the desires of the original mind, in other words, one’s fundamental impulse. True love cannot be given in violation of the creation principle and what laws may be involved. ‘Responsibility’ here means freely chosen. Evil forces tempt us to violate the principle by choosing to inordinately try to realize an individual purpose. To so choose is internal alienation, which was first discussed by self-described Marxist Christian Dorothea Soelle in her Sin and Alienation. I cannot find anything in DP indicating the parent-child relationship as ruler-subject. In its mythic account of creation and fall, God so respects the dignity of the children as to self-restrain from preventing the tragedy, even though God will suffer with the children if it occurs. (A somewhat the demythologized version would have God creating laws that could not be modified, creating the possibility of the tragedy while knowing that that would be necessary if the ideal held during creation were ever to be realized and knowing the scenario in which it surely would eventually be.) In my PowerPoint parenting workshop, a parent’s respect for the child’s dignity is a major theme, along with offering increasing responsibility as a child matures.

No comments:

Post a Comment